Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Flamers no longer OP

Flamer's of Tzeentch - painted by me
Late last year I said Flamers were not OP here.  The world, and Phil Kelly disagreed.

Points to consider (revised):
  • I have not yet found a compelling reason to spend waste 5 points on a Pyrocaster upgrade.  While it is unlikely that you get charged, I've taken to deepstriking them with a disk of Tzeentch (Blue Scribes or Herald) as I can get a much larger frontage and generally hit a target with 5 -6 templates off the deepstrike this way vs 3-4 in a normal small cluster.  The pyrocaster protects your HQ from instant gib.
  • I won't go into the warpfire/breath garbage that is now going around to allow you to hit people outside your range. Note: GW please read your FAQs before you post them and stop letting the interns write them.
  • I don't think they are over powered costed now.

The change:
  • Wounds MEQ 1/3 of their previous (S4 AP4 - wounds on 4, MEQ save on 3+)
  • Invuln save is 8.5% better (re-roll 1s)
  • Loss of Eternal Warrior will cost them dearly
I can only surmise that the WD Codex update was a ploy to sell models (of course it was) but broke an important compact with customers.  You can't sell a shiney object and then smash it 6 months later.  It's one thing to nerf a model or two after a 5 year codex cycle and entirely something else when done in 6 months.

2 comments:

  1. They were too good though my friend, for that price especially.

    Now they're strictly used as an anti-infantry role. Forcing a ton of S4 wounds is still enough to kill most marines, and it makes them signficantly stronger vs. T3 units :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't disagree with you, it just feels overly harsh when they could have easily put the new rules in the WD update rather than just lowe the unit points cost just to sell models and then kick them in the gonads later.

      Delete